Friday, March 06, 2009

Politcal Posturing and why I hate Fox News

Fox news and Bill O'reilly are the devil. I wish I had a well thought out, detailed and strongly defended argument to present in regards to that, but I don't. Political propaganda annoys me, as does anyone who is pompous enough to believe that there are no other truths in the world besides the jaded information they themselves spout off.

I'm going to be plain here, one, becuase no one reads this damn blog anyway, and secondly, I've been rather fed up with politics and people's attitudes lately in general. So, I'll be honest.

I did NOT vote for Obama.

But I wanted to. I read the man's books, researched his politics, and in the end really liked and respected him, and I felt a lot of the things that people were saying about him were either misunderstood or just plain mean spirited and unfair.

In the end, My wife and I voted Republican because of our feeling on abortion. We're not big fans, and while we're very anti-war (and Obama seemed anti war at the time), we decided that abortion was more of a religious issue, and we decided to vote with our conscience.

It was hard, because I didn't like the McCain that had been appearing on the news for the last two years. He was arrogant, stuck up and in full support of a war that never should have happened.

And so, he got our vote. And a couple hours later Obama won, and McCain was giving up. And it was in THAT speech that I actually saw a man I might have voted for. He was honorable, fair, and classy about his defeat. He encouraged his voters to support the new presidency and work together to help the country back on its feet. When some decenters tried to boo, he silenced them and moved on.

Then Obama gave a speech again asking for people to put aside their politics and come together to fix things. And I vowed to do just that.

In the weeks that followed Obama researched, got guidance from numerous people ( even McCain) and prepared to take on a great responsibility. And he is continuing to do what I can only assume to be the best job he can do.

Living in Idaho, a largely Republican state, I've been continually heart broken and angered by peoples attitude towards the new president, his efforts and the state of the country and government. They're bitter. They're angry. And they refuse to support anything that comes out of the man's mouth.

Here I am, hoping for a better tomorrow, trying to be supportive and optimistic, and these folks are basically BEGGING for revolution. and the Man's been in office barely a month. maybe two.

I spoke with a long time friend recently who is very right wing (by the way, if you're wondering, the wife and I appear to be moderates with both some right and left leaning ideas, depending on the topic), and I was saddened and appalled by his rage toward the government and his complete unwillingness to dare to hope and put some faith into some, our president, who I fully believe has the best intentions in his heart for this country. My friend is a fairly religious and god fearing person, and here he was dreaming of revolution and barely shying from outright hoping for something terrible to happen to Obama.

WHAT THE HELL PEOPLE?!?!?!

I don't care what your beliefs or politics are. I don't care who you voted for. I don't care what grudge you're holding. But LET IT GO. Because we are in serious trouble folks. and only by putting aside our differences and working together are we going to be able to fix things. Fox News and Bill O'reilly are obviously going to spend the next 4 years complaining. And that is not going to accomplish anything productive. Stop complaining. Start supporting.

Obama may not have been who you wanted, but he's who we got, and lets get behind him and work! Let's get things to a place where is can actually support the weight of violent disagreement. Wait for things to get better first. Cause truth is, the country can't handle it right now.

And you right wing folks. Please. STOP. You know what... we've tried it your way for eight years now. Yes, Bush was a warmonger and an idiot, and while that may not have been your fault, you had your way for awhile, and things are at the worst they've ever been. Obviously, SOMETHING had to change. I know you folks HATE change, especially big change. But if we stayed the course we would have been destroyed. Please understand that. the people, especially the young people (your children), may have selected a change more dramatic than you expected or wanted, but it's over.

Instead of spending time and resources moaning about, let's make life better. When things are back on an even keel, THEN go back to tearing things apart.

I realize this plea has probably fallen on deaf and offended ears. And you know what? I DON'T CARE. I'm tired. As a country, we have a choice, support or decent, hope or despair. I'm choosing to Hope. If you can't do that, then leave me alone. I want nothing to do with you. I'm tired of misery and despair. We just ended eight freaking years of that. Please people, let's hope and work together for a new and better future.

1 comment:

Kate Woodbury said...

I completely agree, Mike! I don't think there's much difference between the Bush-hate-mongering that went on and the Obama-hate-mongering that has started up. And I despise it. I think it is so pointless and self-serving. Setting aside the fact that the guy has only been president for three months--three months, people!--I really, really dislike pundits who sit around waiting for the other side to mess up, and then go, "See! See!" the first time (or even the second time) the other side makes a mistake.

(And it's REALLY stupid when they get all bent out of shape over something like the president using the wrong word or forgetting someone's name or whatever.)

I have a little bit of sympathy for the people who are worried about the economy--mostly because my dad is worried about the economy--and I admit I have no respect for Congress, but I honestly think a lot of the bad economy is the result of people running around, INSISTING that the world is ending, yadda yadda yadda. Bad things have happened, true, but they won't STOP happening if people keep insisting that they won't.

In any case, I think more people should read history. My version of the world ending is the Middle Ages, and I just don't think the United States is even a little close to being there yet. Dying from small pox and no rights for women, people. Get a grip!