Thursday, April 26, 2007

Avoiding the Popular






So, lately I've discovered that a lot of people- most in fact- think that I don't like most movies. In fact, they say that I especially hate the popular ones. And While I may shout and holler that this isn't true, I'm starting to see why they might think it.

A great example is "The Guardian." I didn't see it. I don't anticipate seeing it. Why? Because while I haven't seen it, I have seen Bodyguard, Backdraft, Top Gun, and a dozen other inspiring movies about people who risk their lives to save people. They all have a mentor, a struggling and rebellious hero, several big actions scenes, the death of the mentor, and a big court scene at some point for the Young Hero to stand up for his newfound convictions.


So I figure, why bother? I got the point the first time, there's not really much to gain here. And that bothers some people.

Another one is "Pursuit of Happyness" (yes, I know it's spelled wrong). I did see this, mostly because of my wife. But I didn't want to, and even now, I'm not all that excited that I did. Sure, it's well made, and it's inspiring and uplifting and blah blah blah........

But, truth is, this movie has also been made before.

And so, yes, while I realize that I am prejudging, truth is I just recognize movies I've already seen.

But how about the big budget, box office titanic movies that everyone loves? You know what, I'll tell you a secret: I love them too. Yes, I saw Titanic multiple times in the theater. I was there on opening day for Pirates of the Caribbean (both, actually), both Spider-mans, nearly every Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings. I love big budget blockbusters as much as the next person. I just like them for a different reason. Everyone else loves them because they're blockbuster. I like them when they're good. that's about it. unfortunately, a lot of blockbusters aren't as great as they should have been. But that doesn't keep me from being excited.

In the end, you just need to have your own opinion. Many Blockbusters have a smash opening, and then it becomes a trend to say how bad it was. In the end, it's not that I don't like movies, I just don't like being told what I like.

No comments: